- The iPhone App Store opened on July 10th, 2008.
- The Amazon App store opened on March 22th, 2011.
- Google Play launched on March 6th, 2012.
In a relatively short time, publishers had new and powerful distribution channels to target in addition to the established channels: print, website and industry-specific online hosting platforms. When apps came to market, a new vocabulary had to be understood by publishing staff, including those in management, editorial, product development, marketing, sales, and all the vendors that serve them. The nuance between the terms “mobile,” “digital,” “apps,” and the variety of features available is clearer now than it was a few years ago, but publishers still strive to deliver the experiences customers expect at a price point that’s profitable for them and reasonable to customers.
Successful publishers recognize that the next iteration of apps must provide a digital experience platform—a mobile platform that:
- performs multiple business functions
- serves up various content
- monetizes content
- measures success
- delivers a great customer experience